Saturday, January 29, 2011

a new beginning

I arrived in Costa Rica tonight at the Juan Santamaria International Airport. The airport is pretty empty. Not surprising, given the time of day (or night, rather). I'm wearing jeans, a long-sleeve button-up and a jacket. Definitely overdressed for the climate. Luckily, I don't have to haul my luggage very far. The Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport was a nightmare. Extremely busy, computer systems down, couldn't find a luggage cart.

Going through customs was a breeze, much easier than in Florida. I don't have to walk far before finding my first tico friend. I'm nervous, but mostly excited. I can't believe that I'm really in Costa Rica. I first started talking to Jonathan Cubero Acevedo about a month before arriving. We met online and quickly hit it off. We talked on Skype practically every night. He spoke English, and my Spanish was shit... so it worked out pretty well. Jonathan is accompanied by his brother, who has agreed to come pick me up. A very nice gesture considering the hour. It also saved me a $20 taxi ride to the Hemingway Inn, conveniently located in barrio Amon. Later I learn that I should probably brush up on my tico etiquette. Apparently, Jonathan's brother thought I was "cold". Was it because I offered to pay him for the ride? I thought I was being polite. Anyway, just a learning experience.

We arrive at the hotel around 3:30am. It wasn't very much fun carrying 100lbs of luggage upstairs (maybe I overpacked?). But Jonathan was very helpful, as always. Time for bed.. tomorrow an appointment to see an apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment